THE EMERALD POOLS IN THE “GUARDIAN” ARTICLE
WILD SWIMMING ITALY
WHAT ARE EMERALD POOLS
panorama of Val Tramontina
waterfall along the way
along the river Meduna
HOW TO REACH THE EMERALD POOLS
the spring Sgurlina
WHEN TO GO AND WHAT TO DO
- You can just get to the natural pools after the twenty minute walk and enjoy the wild landscape, relax, sunbathe on the beaches of gravel and rocks, take a dive on one of the various rocky springboards created by nature but beware of the water temperature: even in summer it can be really cold.
- If you love trekking, I suggest you to continue the walk on trail 386 to Lake Ciul. Starting from the emerald pools, you walk inside the forest until you reach the uninhabited village of Frassaneit di Sotto. After passing the remains of Frassaneit, at a large boulder leave path 386 on the right and take path 393. Through which you reach before Frassaneit di Sopra and after lowering towards the bed of Meduna river, you resume altitude and, after bypassing the whole southern slope of Cima Zuviel, you reach the summit of the great dam ofLake Ciul. For the return you follow the same route, in reverse.
A LITTLE HISTORY OF THE VILLAGE OF FRASSAINEIT
In the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries, the inhabitants of the village and the valley have maintained commercial relations with the Serenissima which needed timber for the construction of the Venetian galleys but also two important local products: “the grey cloth tramontino”, made from spun wool and sheep cheese, a long-life food that was consumed regularly by sailors traveling to the East. From the village, large loads of wood over 60 kg were transported on a sort of sled until reaching a berth on the river, while lighter wood was carried on the shoulders by men. In the villages of Val Tramontina, Sunday was an important day, in fact all the inhabitants went down on foot to the valley to participate in the mass and do the shopping bartering with butter and cheese in a large common market. Frassaneit di Sotto was inhabited until the First World War and now, what remains of its past life, emerges from the vegetation in the form of ruins, walls and shelves. And it is precisely in one of these ruins that the “pitina” was born, a delicious smoked meatball.
the clear water of the Emerald Pools
the emerald pools
relax at emerald pools
the path to reach the Pozze Smeraldine
- From the A28 motorway, exit Cimpello, take the entire Regional Road 177 to Sequals. From here follow the signs for Tramonti di Sopra. Entering the village, continue leaving the small church dedicated to Our Lady of Health on your left. After about 200 meters you have to leave your car at the parking lot and continue on foot.
- Take the regional road 251 connecting Pordenone to Maniago, then continue on the regional 552 to Meduno and then turn left continuing to Tramonti di Sotto and then Sopra.
- Bring food and water as there are no refreshment points along the way.
- Bring a tick repellent, they’re very common around here When you get home, make sure you don’t have them on you