WHAT IS IT WORKAWAY?
Workaway in Vietnam
ADVANTAGES OF WORKAWAY
- What I consider to be the greatest benefit of Workaway is the opportunity to meet new and extraordinary people from all over the world and to have a life experience and volunteer in their country. Many times these are single families looking for volunteers, but in other cases, when you work in structures such as hostels, you can learn a lot about passing travellers with whom to exchange information and many other ideas.
- You can learn the language of the host country, learn its culinary tradition and in some cases be able to participate in local festivals and move far and wide thanks to the advice of the locals.
- Of course, the biggest advantage for the traveller who uses Workaway is the availability of a bed and also free meals. Generally the content of the platform is about unpaid work, but you may find hosts that reward you with small salaries or commissions if you can sell products or promote organized tours.
- Making the best use of the Workaway site means being able to plan in advance the various jobs that you will perform to contact multiple hosts in advance and to draw up your plans without haste.
- Finally, staying in a country for a longer period of time allows you to get to know its deeper culture and become part of it. Many hosts want you to stay at least a couple of weeks, if not a couple of months. This way, during your days off, your hosts will show you their way of life, but in addition to that he/she can help you explore the best and hidden areas of the country.
yoga during Workaway
yoga at Workaway in Thailand
DISADVANTAGES OF WORKAWAY
- Some profiles may be falsified or missing some information. Sometimes the work is not the same as the one described in the profile; for example, “taking care of animals” can mean taking care of animal poop! In many cases, but not always, the phrase is true; “Workaway is for cultural exchange or the possibility of learning and a way to make new friends. It’s not a way for landlords to replace paid employees with volunteers.”
- Some of the hosts will not respond to your emails. The reason for this? Hosts have already reached the number of volunteers they need or are too lazy to respond and are not interested in you. If they don’t answer, don’t take it personally and move on to the next announcement.
- Hosts do not always operate on the same level of exchange as others. The site says you will be working 20-25 hours a week but some hosts expect less while others will try to get more by taking advantage of your time as much as possible.
THE HOSTEL IN KUALA LUMPUR
Christmas lunch in hostel in KL
Christmas lunch in Kuala Lumpur
Christmas lunch at KL
THE PHOTOGRAPHIC EXPERIENCE IN CHIANG MAI
my photo workaway in Thailand
the covers for the yoga balls
a decoration I created at the Workaway
- Do some good research Find ads that you really like and try to understand if you have a good feeling reading the description and seeing the images of the place. Read the reviews carefully because some may not be true! In this case, the best thing is to contact one of the volunteers who worked in that particular place and ask for his experience and some advice.
- Before accepting a Workaway job, it is important to ask questions such as: “Do you offer towels and bed linen?” and “Do you have Wifi?” “Can I have a meal?” “How many hours do you expect me to work?”. Try not to leave anything to chance.
- Always have a backup plan. In case a Workaway host does not show up at the meeting point or if the working mode is not actually the agreed one, you always have an alternative to use.
- Keep in mind that you are not obliged to stay in the same place. In case you don’t feel welcome, safe or appreciated, you can always leave. You are not bound by a signed contract or anything else, so you can make your own decisions, without any constraints that could compromise your experience.
- Be flexible and open-minded!